Everyone who has studied abroad or lived in another country knows that coming home is not always as easy as you think it’ll be. But coming home after an AUCP semester of full immersion in the French language and culture is a whole ‘nother ball game.
1. Sometimes it’s really hard to speak English.
2. That’s right, you’ve forgotten how to speak your native language. It’s globalization, not mondialisation. It’s a traditional French dish, not a typical French plate. Get it together, bilingual brain!
Fox / via Giphy.com
3. You can’t get your casual glass of wine with lunch, dinner, or well…anything anymore because of the drinking age.
4. In any case, it doesn’t matter because the good French wine is SO expensive.
5. Jet-lag is le pire.
6. You find yourself wondering if you should be saying “Hello” and « Thank you, goodbye » when you enter or exit a store.
Universal Pictures / Via theunicornblood.tumblr.com
In France you ALWAYS say bonjour!
7. You also try to pay for things without calculating tax.
FOX / Via gemini-dragon-gifs.tumblr.com
8. You keep finding Euro coins that you just don’t know what to do with. WHY are the little copper ones SO SMALL??
9. You feel almost awkward with friends you haven’t seen in months…
FOX / via gurl.com
10. …because they’ve all changed their majors twice, started new hobbies without you and gotten into new relationships.
NBC / Via colinheasley.tumblr.com
11. The Mediterranean Sea is no longer right next door.
12. You find yourself saying “when I was in France” far too often.
ABC / Via letmeloveu5.tumblr.com
THEY JUST DON’T UNDERSTAND HOW GREAT IT WAS.
13. And everytime you see a #tbt from your semester abroad, it’s all #nostalgie #profiter #VousMeManquezTrop
14. You feel a burning urge to speak French (or let’s be serious, franglais) with everyone around you.
15. You speak up all the time in French class because it’s the only opportunity you have to speak French.
AMC / via wifflegif.com
And you love it.
16. You wonder about joining the French club.
Disney / via brightestyoungthings.com
Does my school even have a French club? I want to start a French club.
17. You forgot whether you’re supposed to hug, handshake or bise.
18. Sometimes, you say ciao to say goodbye.
CBS / via mrwgifs.com
« Um, like, didn’t you go to France, not Italy? »
19. You can’t just take a weekend to visit Paris on a high-speed train anymore.
20. You’ll have to readjust to the great American culinary traditions.
Nickelodeon / via wifflegif.com
21. And say a fond farewell to la crêpe nutella-banane à 2€.
22. And le kebab. And la pizza frite.
23. And the bread. OH the bread. The bread here is just NOT.
24. But, while you’ll settle into your routine again soon enough, Provence will always hold a special place in your heart.
25. And hey, the dollar is strong, so why not hop on a plane and come right back?
New Line Cinema / via acidcow.com
Are you a potential student thinking about an AUCP experience? Contact us and we’ll put you in touch with an AUCP alum!
If you’re an AUCP alum for whom these struggles are all too real, we want to hear from you! Contact us to find out how you can be an AUCP mentor, and get the opportunity to talk to potential students about your experience, no judgement allowed.